The Al Alfi Biotechnology Fellowship Program is jointly offered by Al Alfi Foundation and The American University in Cairo (AUC) represented by its School of Science and Engineering (SSE). The program is designed to prepare future scientists and industrial leaders who are Egyptian nationals and who have strong knowledge and skills in science and engineering.
The program is intended to enable qualified Egyptian science and engineering graduates to attend AUC’s reputable Biotechnology program on a full tuition-free scholarship basis. This term of the program will admit up to five candidates. The long term objective of the program is to develop the man power for research and development in the region by providing the skill sets for future scientists who are easily recruited to biotechnology and pharmaceutical industrial positions in Egypt and the region.
In its pursuit for excellence in STEM education, AAF sponsored 18 students during the past Five years in this fellowship program. The newly enrolled students in this program for the Academic Year 2016/2017 amount to 4 students.
About the Program
The program aspires to prepare future scientists and industrial leaders who are Egyptian nationals and who have strong knowledge and skills in science and engineering. The program is intended to enable qualified Egyptian science and engineering graduates to attend AUC’s reputable Biotechnology program on a full tuition-free scholarship basis. The fellowship is awarded for one semester and is subject to renewal for up to two years based on the recommendation of the department.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- To introduce students to a combination of fundamentals and frontline applications in the field of biotechnology.
- To introduce students to regulatory affairs, intellectual property issues, and ethics related to different aspects of biotechnology.
- To introduce students to principles and requirements of bio-entrepreneurship.
- To provide the students with a deep understanding of the research techniques and data analysis in the area of specialization.
- To train students to solve biotechnology-related problems, think critically, function well in a team, and communicate effectively.
- To train students at a high standard of written and oral communication skills on technical matters.
Successful applicants to the program must:
- Be Egyptian Citizens.
- Meet AUC graduate admissions requirements, including submission of AUC graduate application and needed documents.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree of Science in engineering (mechanical, electrical, industrial, etc.) or science (pharmacy, medicine, computers, chemistry, etc.) from an accredited university, with a minimum overall GPA of 3.2, very good or the equivalent ranking from other universities.
- Possess a relevant scientific research background
- Submit an International TOEFL iBT exam score or academic IELTS exam score as per the cut-off scores for AUC graduate admissions.
- Initial screening of applications will be conducted by the Program Director to eliminate applicants that do not meet eligibility criteria.
- The eligible applicants will be interviewed by a committee formed of faculty members from AUC and representatives from Al-Alfi Foundation.
- Applications of the final group selected will be sent to the Program Director for processing with the AUC’s Office of Admission and issuance of acceptance letters by AUC.
- Applications should be submitted together with all supporting documents by April as the academic year starts in September.
Candidates must complete in-full the appropriate application and attach the required documents. Please note that candidates will be required to submit original copies of all documents if considered for an interview.
Learn more about the courses click here